Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fuel Cost - is it on your mind?

Maine is a large state with little public transportation so commuting and off-site meetings usually require some amount of driving. How are you dealing with the rising gas prices? Are you cutting back on off-site meetings? Do you still rely on the firm's mileage reimbursement programs? Are these programs being cut at all? How about commuting? Have you broached the subject of working from home a few days a week? Are you car-pooling?

It seems as though the Marginal Way commuter lot in Portland is getting more use these days and the nightly news certainly keeps us abreast of (if not panicked by) the rapidly rising fuel costs. So, Maine lawyers, how are you dealing?

3 comments:

Justin B Weiss said...

I started a ride share for the first time, YES I am using the marginal way lot, and for the first time my employer started talking about a fixed two-day work from home schedule to cut down on my 50 minute daily commute. Frankly, it shouldn't have taken outrageous fuel prices to get to this point, but be that as it may I think these solutions are good ones for now.

D'Poser said...

The staff at my firm started requesting a 4-day work week since gas prices are high, but I think the response is going to be the formation of a carpool. Personally, I've finally dropped my driving speed from warp speed to 72, and my oh my how the gas mileage has gotten better! Oh, and living 4 miles from work helps too.

Anonymous said...

We try to carpool any time we can, and have cut down on meeting at our central office in Augusta. But its a crunch, as the mileage reimbursement rate does not keep up with the true cost of rising gas prices.